Friday, February 11, 2011

Breastfeeding is so obscene, you can't even tell I'm doing it!


Juliette got hungry at Target the other day and I snapped this picture as we walked past the mirror. I walked around Whole Foods on Valentines day nursing her like this too! In the beginning of our breastfeeding journey I never thought that this would be me! Proud to be nursing in public! A toddler no less!!! I thought I would hide in the house or in the car WITH a blanket over her head to breastfeed. Then thanks to support pages like The Leaky Boob . I quickly realized that breastfeeding isn't something I should be ashamed of. I shouldn't have to go hide in a bathroom and miss out on dinner or a get together with friends and family because my daughter needs to eat dinner herself. Not only that but the way us "exhibitionists" see it is that the more people who see us breastfeeding in public the more it normalizes nursing in public and the more women will hopefully get over their fear of breastfeeding in public and try harder to breastfeed!
A lot of women give up just because they are afraid to breastfeed in public and that's really sad.

Breastfeeding is the most unnatural natural thing. Before I had Juliette I had never even seen another woman breastfeed. If it weren't for the internet I don't know what I would have done because I had NO support breastfeeding while pregnant or after giving birth except for the lactation consultant who popped her head in to see if I needed help breastfeeding the day AFTER she was born. At that point I could have already given her like 6 bottles of formula! If it weren't for the internet and other Moms I met online, I would most likely go with the norm in the society I was raised in and bottle feed. Which is why I personally think it's important to breastfeed in public, talk about breastfeeding in public, and post pictures of breastfeeding in public.

Like I said, I never thought this would be me. When I was pregnant I thought I would breastfeed for 6 months and go back to work! Ha! Now that I've done quite a bit of research on the subject and I know the benefits, I plan on letting her wean herself when she is ready. I'm not ashamed to say I breastfeed a toddler!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for speaking out! :) And normalizing! Check out The Normalizing Nursing in Public League (The NNIPL) on Facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah - I'm stupid. You linked to us in your piece. :) Ha ha ha. Well, thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha yes Mother Hen, already got it covered! ;) Thanks! & Thank you Alyssa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, what quality is that photo? Any chance we could use it for our La Leche League magazine cover? We'd send you a copy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also breasfeed a toddler, also in public, also without a cover. But I have to say you have mad skills to do it walking around. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess, it's just a cell phone picture but I would be honored if you used it for your La Leche League magazine cover!
    Jenni, it was a skill I didn't know I had. She got hungry in the store while I was carrying her so I just tried it. I had done it walking around before but only with the Ergo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picture:-) I used to get all self conscious when I would breastfeed in public with a cover. When my LO was 6 months he started playing peek-a-boo with the cover so I got over it lol. Now its no big deal to BF in public. I wish is didn't have such a stigma tho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the photo! You are so correct in saying that you really can't even tell you are nursing. Normalizing nursing in public is so important - and the photo shows that you don't have to "take your shirt off," as some naysayers claim, in order to do it.

    ReplyDelete